Friday, July 06, 2007

D-Day

You'll notice I haven't posted anything since Tuesday. I haven't been on the computer since then either. While the rest of you were celebrating Independence Day, I was experiencing D-Day -- diarrhea day. I'll have to stop letting Chito sample my food. Anyway, I woke up this morning feeling better and with a hankering for strawberry pancakes. So, I drove the three miles to IHop. Ordered the strawberry pancakes. About FIVE MINUTES later, the waiter came back to my table and said they didn't have any strawberry pancakes, but I could have strawberry French toast. I'll just pause here as you imagine what was going through my head. "OK," said I, "I'll have the strawberry French toast. But scrape the strawberries off the French toast and put them on a stack of pancakes." I got my strawberry pancakes and the waiter didn't get my usually generous tip. What is happening to this world! Going to bed. Blog more at work tonight.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um, what's Chito sampling your food got to do with your malaise?

How old was your waiter? Probably been brain trained to not think outside the box. It's not even a long trip outside the box to get to putting strawberries on pancakes when they can be put on French toast. Sheesh.

I hope you continue to feel better.

Lone Ranger said...

If he takes a lick before I eat it, I'm guessing there is a transfer of bacteria -- from the tongue that cleans his paws -- that bury his poop. But that's just my theory. He'll eat anything -- even guacamole.

The waiter was early 20s and Korean -- from Korea. Maybe the language barrier had something to do with it.

Anonymous said...

You'll just have to give Chito his own plate. :)

Twix won't eat any people food except for the shaved turkey I put on my sandwiches. Finicky doesn't begin to describe her.

Lone Ranger said...

Those three cats are totally different. Gwen refuses to even sniff people food. Ginger will try things that are creamy, like potato salad or ranch dressing, and then will immediately throw up.

But I think Chito is aspiring to be one of those hundred-pound cats you see on the Internet. First, he'll scarf down his own food, then, he'll eat the leftovers in the other two bowls. Then, he'll come to see what I'm eating. The only way I can get him out of my face is to give him a sample. Tonight it was bbq ribs and baked beans.

I've given up on thoughts of returning him. The other two are starting to accept him. And he makes me laugh every day. The other day I woke up and went into the living room and found my recliner turned 180 degrees. Gave me a bit of a shock because I thought for half a second that someone was in the apartment. He sounds all night like he's moving furniture, but this was the first evidence I had that he actually does it. Oh, and last night about 2 a.m. I heard something go bump in the night. I got up to investigate and tripped on the half-unpacked suitcase he'd shoved over. I put the suitcase upright and his little head came poking out. It's hard to get back to sleep after laughing.

Mark said...

That's hilarious! You should be a comedy writer. The strawberry pancake story reminds me of the time I tried to get McDonalds to break their rules and put a pickle on a fish sandwich. I think I'll write about it.

Lone Ranger said...

I used to be a comedy writer. I worked for 10 years as a disk (not disc) jockey. But who needs to write comedy when these things keep happening to me?