Friday, April 21, 2006

Geek News

LOS ANGELES, April 20 (Reuters) - More than three years after the last "Star Trek" movie crashed at the box office, the venerable sci-fi franchise is being revived by the director of the upcoming "Mission: Impossible" sequel, Daily Variety reported in its Friday edition. The as-yet-untitled "Star Trek" feature, the 11th since 1979, is aiming for a fall 2008 release through Paramount Pictures, the Viacom Inc. unit looking to restore its box-office luster under new management, the trade paper said. The project will be directed by J.J. Abrams, whose Tom Cruise vehicle "Mission: Impossible III" will be released by Paramount on May 5. Abrams, famed for producing the TV shows "Alias" and "Lost," will also help write and produce. Daily Variety said the action would center on the early days of "Star Trek" characters James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock, including their first meeting at Starfleet Academy and first outer-space mission.

4 comments:

Eric said...

Big mistake, I think. I liked Capt. Archer and T'Pol far too much to see that crew completely bypassed on the big screen. They ruined the "Enterprise" finale by grafting "The Next Generation" into it. It's time for a little restitution.

Sorry, I guess my geek is showing.

tugboatcapn said...

I have liked all of the Star Trek Movies, as well as the original series, and TNG.

I am personally looking forward to the next installment.

Trader Rick said...

I long for the days when Denny Crane was a young impetuous rake, crusiing the galaxy in search of another alien girlfriend, commanding thru emotion and getting by on charm and good luck...

Can you imagine what it would be like to be a crew member and chosen to go be on an away team with Kirk, Spock and Bones, knowing your chances of having your brains sucked out by an angry mob of monsters was about 90%?

I liked the original TV series the best!

Lone Ranger said...

When I was teaching TV production, I used to use Star Trek as an example of one of the best lit shows on television. They used lighting not only to make up for their cheap sets, but to heighten tension. My favorite shot was Kirk's eyes only in a rectangle of light.

By the way, if you Google Klingon Blood Stew, you will find one of my recipes.