Sunday, February 13, 2005

How to Avoid Being Ripped Off on Software

Simple. Stay away from an outfit called Slysoft. These folks make software for backing up your CDs and DVDs. Their main software packages are AnyDVD, CloneDVD and CloneCD. This software works adequately. It will back up most of your CDs and DVDs. You get a trial period and then if you decide to buy the software, they guide you to a site where you can unlock your package with a software key. Fine and dandy. But Heaven help you if you ever lose that software key. Soon after buying ALL their packages, my system crashed and I had to restore it completely. I contacted them to get my software keys back and after much cajoling, they sent me the site again. It didn't work. And that was it. They absolutely refused to send it again or help me through the problem. Now, every experience I've had with online software purchases before, that key was mine for LIFE. Nope. They refuse to give it to me again and here I sit with three useless software packages. AVOID SLYSOFT! Pass it on.