Tuesday, February 15, 2005

It's Over!!

That dreaded, manufactured chick holiday -- Valentine's Day -- is FINALLY over. Fortunately, it's much less stressful than back when I was married. Mom got her Peruvian lillies and Ghiradelli chocolates, my long-distance "ladyfriend" (I'm too old and tired to have a girlfriend) got a nice gift and I got a card. Or something. MEN OF THE WORLD, WE MUST UNITE TO GET OUR OWN HOLIDAY! I'm thinking that since it will be another totally made-up holiday like Presidents' Day, Valentine's Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day or Kwanzaa, we can pretty much make it anything we want it to be. So, I present for your consideration, Leave Me the Hell Alone Day. The rules: Don't wake me up for breakfast in bed, don't send a card, don't insist we eat out, don't make me carry out the trash, don't expect me to ferry the kids around town to a bunch of activities. By the way, since I'm on the subject, I never went to "activities" when I was a kid. My mom would push us out the door in the morning and tell us to be back before supper -- SUPPER, not dinner -- and then she'd just hope that none of us stepped in front of a charging bison (happened to me once), fell out of a tree or off the edge of a cliff or drowned -- at least, I like to THINK she hoped that. Where was I? Ah. Don't tell me to clean out the garage, don't mention the position of the toilet seat, don't tell me to "close what you open, pick up what you drop and clean up what you spill," don't even talk to me. Especially don't even talk to me. I won't set a date for this holiday. It will be portable. Any time a man feels about to go postal, he can declare that "This is hereby Leave Me the Hell Alone Day." Maybe he can pronounce it three times or something, like Muslims do when they divorce a wife. You can do this only once a year and -- like Anytime Minutes -- they can't be rolled over into the next year. Your one loophole is you can declare the holiday on December 31 and January 1, giving you a twofer. But you'd better not squander it. You never know when your wife might gain five pounds or one of your kids might start mounting Hillary Clinton posters on the wall. And the best part of this holiday is that Hallmark, ProFlowers, Russell Stover and their ilk won't make a dime, because the very idea of a Leave Me the Hell Alone Day card, Leave Me the Hell Alone Day flowers or Leave Me the Hell Alone Day candy is a violation of Leave Me the Hell Alone Day rules. If this holiday catches on, men all over the world will get a taste of how I live just about every day. (Hmmm, I didn't mean that to sound so pathetic.) By the way, so long as I'm handing out wisdom, men, do NOT buy flowers from grocery stores. They have been genetically engineered not to have a smell, so your wife can tell when you've cheaped out on her. That's why the first thing women do when they receive flowers is to smell them. My ex could even tell the difference between grocery chains.