Sunday, November 02, 2008

I'm Done

No more political talk for me until after the election. Everything that can be said has been said. Everything (that we know of) about the dreadful Democratic candidate has been exposed and people don't seem to care. I retain my belief that the polls are wrong and that Obama has no chance of being elected, but I still feel a sense of dread. I thought there was no chance Clinton could be elected or reelected either. The poison pill in those elections was a third-party candidate. In both elections, more people voted against Clinton than for him, but he got in anyway, claiming a "mandate" to push his agenda. It was only the Republicans capture of Congress two years into Clinton's administration that kept this country on the rails. Should Obama be elected, that by-election two years from now would once again be an opportunity to take the country back. How much damage can one man do in two years? That wasn't a rhetorical question, I'm really wondering. So, Tuesday, morning I'm going to get off work and catch up on all the shows I have TiVOed but haven't had a chance to watch. I plan to go to bed early and turn on Fox News Wednesday morning to see who the new president will be. Maybe I'll sleep in a bit. Robert Ariail Nov 02, 2008

6 comments:

Tonto said...

I join your sentiment...enough said.

Mark said...

I can't let this go. This election is too important. You ask how much damage can one man do it two years?

I don't want to find out.

If he has the added benefit of a filibuster proof Congeress, who knows what damage he is capable of in two years?

This morning I sent Poison Pero's 15 reasons to vote for McCain to my mother, my 5 siblings, and my kids who have e-mail.

I believe all but one are Democrats. I know I risk creating hard feelings with my brothers and sisters, but I feel this election is too important not to take the risk.

Tonto said...

I think I am in the mood for one of your recipes LR. Got any thing good to make this time a year. It is suddenly getting chilly finally here in OC, CA.

Lone Ranger said...

I make a cream of tomato soup that puts Campbells to shame. Perfect for autumn.


56 ounces canned peeled tomatoes
4 shallots -- finely minced
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 pinch allspice
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 pinch cayenne
2 tablespoons dry sherry

Preheat oven to 450 F.

Line a cookie pan with foil. Spray with olive oil.

Put a fine wire mesh colander or strainer in a large bowl and pour in two large cans of whole, peeled tomatoes.

By hand, split open the tomatoes and scrape out the seeds into the colander. Squeeze out as much juice as you can. Watch out for spritzing. Reserve the tomato juice

After you seed each tomato, place it inside-up on the cookie pan.

Sprinkle the tomatoes with two tablespoons sugar or Splenda. Bake at 450 for 30 minutes.

Remove tomatoes from oven and let cool to the touch.

Melt four tablespoons butter in a large sauce pan until foamy. Add shallots, one tablespoon tomato paste and a pinch of allspice. Mix well, cover, lower heat to very low and let shallots sweat for 10 minutes.

Put tomatoes and enough juice in a blender to puree. Puree and add to pot with chicken broth. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Lower heat to medium low, cover pot and simmer for about 10 minutes.

Add 1/2 cup cream and 2 tablespoons dry sherry. Mix. Add a pinch of cayenne, mix well and serve.

Joe said...

While I agree with Mark, I know how you feel.

Your post and mine say about the same thing.

But let's DO encourage conservatives to get out and vote!

We NEED this win.

Soup sounds GOOD! I'll try it!

See you after the vote! Have a good sleep-in.

Anonymous said...

Tonto, isn't it lovely?? It's especially welcome in the Inland Empire, we're usually about ten degrees warmer than OC in the summer, and if you like it cooler, we're about that much cooler in winter. :)

LR, that sounds wonderful! Yum! :)