Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Pathetic Losers

Every presenter on the 62nd annual Golden Globes ceremony on Jan. 16 received a box of goodies worth $37,890. That's up from $26,000 in 2004. The products were chosen by In Style magazine and Hollywood Foreign Press Association staffers.

This year's gifts, contained in a custom wicker ottoman, included:

• An Australian wine adventure package with first-class Qantas airfare and accommodation at Rosemount Estate, where guests will create their own wine: $16,000.

• Brite Smile teeth whitening: $1,100.

• A sitting with portrait photographer Judy Host: $5,000.

• Ehrlooms diamond pendant: $2,700.

• Ferre travel bag: $650.

• Janet Lee dog tote: $400.

• Godiva chocolates: $125.

I can't even imagine the cost of all the parties thrown after the awards. Where's the outrage??? Where are the liberals calling for that money to be spent on tsunami relief or body armor or armored Hum Vees?

This year I'll be going to one of the inaugural balls for the price of $750 a ticket. I'll pay a cab driver to get there. I'll tip a waiter generously and I'll pay another cab driver to get home. And I won't receive a goody basket just for showing up. I imagine there will be bands there, employing local musicians, good food employing cooks and chefs, flowers, employing local florists, etc. Depending on what kind of eats they serve, we might also go to dinner in Old Town Alexandria. Of course, I'm having my tux dry cleaned. My date will buy a dress (apparently, formal gowns can be worn only once). We'll be sinking over $2,000 into businesses in the DC area for just that one night. Hey, I SAID I'm an underworked, overpaid member of the media. And to reiterate, it's none of your business how I spend my money.

Meanwhile, the goofballs on the left have declared Inauguration Day "Not One Damn Dime Day" in America (note the unnecessary vulgarity). They are calling for a boycott on all consumer spending for 24 hours. In other words, they want to HURT small businesses. They want to HURT the very people they claim to champion. What do you want to bet that the money they save will not go to tsunami relief, body armor or armored Hum Vees? And, according to The Hill, most Democrats are getting out of town because they don't want to be reminded that they lost. I've always known that liberals were sore losers, but now they're showing time after time that they're pathetic losers. Since they can't be embarrassed for themselves, I'll be embarrassed for them. No need to thank me.