Sunday, January 30, 2005

From Day to Night

It's 3 am here in DC and 11 am in Baghdad. I WAS watching the election in Iraq until we lost our satellite signal. Seems that our TV people don't work on weekends, so it won't be fixed till Monday morning. I would have thought the entire TV section would be in tonight to cover this important story, but there is not a cheap suit nor a gray pompadour to be seen. Looking at the far end of the newsroom, all I see is a darkened set. At any rate, the only news channel we're getting at the moment is CNN. When the signal went out, I switched from Fox to CNN (does CNN employ ANY Americans?) and it was like switching from day to night. Fox was celebrating the election and showing the people marching into polling places. CNN is talking about a "trickle" of voters and is describing in great detail every act of violence they can find. And the empty suits at CNN can't figure out why they've lost the cable news war. Sheesh, this current anchor just asked Christianne Amanpour, "What's their body language like? Do they seem skittish at all?" That's REALLY reaching! Now we cut to this guy in Baghdad for the third time in 15 minutes to describe the violence. I can't watch this anymore. I turn my attention back to my East Asia region. I want this election to be an overwhelming success, if only to see what the Democrats do next. They won't admit they're wrong, they never do. They won't be contrite, they're too arrogant. I would expect a few more to go off the deep end as Al Gore and Ted Kennedy have. They'll spin this some way, I'm just curious as to how. Any way it goes, it should be loads of fun -- with the emphasis on loads.