Monday, December 21, 2009

All About Me

I was down for the count last week. I usually have some sort of reaction to a flu shot, but this time I got TWO at once. I missed work Monday night and slept almost continuously until Friday morning, when I got up long enough to wrap and mail some Christmas presents. Then, came THE STORM! Having grown up in North Dakota, I am perfectly comfortable driving in winter conditions, but I'm only as good as the vehicle I'm in. And I was in a Corvette. When I got off work Saturday morning, my car was covered with about 10 inches of snow. I had wisely bought a scraper/brush the week before, but had unwisely put it in my trunk, which had about 20 pounds of snow on it. After 10 minutes sweeping off the car, it took me another 10 minutes to get out of my parking space and then another 30 minutes to make the 12-minute drive home. I spent much of that going about two miles per hour -- sideways -- down I395. As soon as I got out of DC and into Virginia, road conditions improved. You'd think that DC could use all those millions of dollars they get from parking fees and tickets to improve their snow removal, but nope. So, I took Saturday night off, because it was still snowing and there was no way I could have made it to work, much less back again. There is a huge security light on the roof about two stories above my apartment that lights up every snowflake, so I just sat in front of my fireplace, watching the snow and listening to my cats purr. Ahhhh. I'm at work tonight. Another night to go before my weekend begins all over again. There are only two writers and two editors here tonight, but that's OK. Things are quiet. There has been so much going on politically -- all of it bad -- that I haven't been in much of a mood for blogging. This time of the year should not be spent expressing outrage. I wanted to do an old-fashioned Christmas goose this year and searched all over until I found one -- for $67.00! So, I got some prime rib instead. It has been aging in the fridge since Friday and should be ready to cook on Christmas eve. Since I work Christmas night, I thought I'd have my meal a day early. Decided this year not to put up my tree. I'm having trouble finding room, with all the junk I've collected in the last 16 years living here. Besides, my cute little kittens who loved climbing my tree last year are now 14-pound monsters, who could bring it down in a single leap. I'm still finding ornaments from last year strewn around.

5 comments:

catering in ontario said...

Wow, you can have a delicious plate of Angus Prime Rib served fries open faced on Sourdough Bread and topped with Diablo Sauce. Yummy

Mark said...

I don't take flu shots and I never get the flu. My wife takes flu shots every year and gets the flu every year.

My father used to get what he called his "annual Christmas pneumonia"( which was really only a bad cold) every year at about this time.

It is the only thing I inherited from him after he passed away. Now I get a bad cold every year around this time. I just got over it.

Mark said...

By the way, whenever I get a bad cold I attack it like Grant took Richmond.

Zinc tablets, cold medicine (Nyquil and Dayquil), plenty of orange juice (Cause I don't like grapefruit juice) chicken soup, and vitamin C drops. Usually, I wipe out my cold in about 2 days.

Joe said...

I sure hope we get past this global warming stuff before too long. Much more of it and you'll NEVER find your car under all of that snow.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

namaste said...

good grief. a corvette in all that snow?! you're good. and i'm glad you're feeling better. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

$67 for a duck?! i hope he's alive and doing my laundry for that price.

;-)