Thursday, September 03, 2009

Teddy and the Pope


We have all heard the story. Ted Kennedy wrote a letter to the Pope and had Obama personally hand it to him.
"I have always tried to be a faithful Catholic, Your Holiness, and though I have fallen short through human failings, I have never failed to believe and respect the fundamental teachings. I continue to pray for God's blessings on you and our Church and would be most thankful for your prayers for me."
That would be laughable, if it weren't so deeply sick. And then we heard that two weeks later, Teddy got a response -- from the Pope, dictated to a senior Vatican official.
"The Holy Father has read the letter which you entrusted to President Barack Obama, who kindly presented it to him during their recent meeting. He was saddened to know of your illness, and has asked me to assure you of his concern and his spiritual closeness. He is particularly grateful for your promise of prayers for him and for the needs of the universal Church. "
Uhhh, not quite. What Kennedy got back was a form letter sent out by an office in the Vatican State Department. If you send the Pope a birthday card or a letter or a Christmas card, guess what -- two weeks later you will get a response just like Teddy did. His lies are told even from beyond the grave.

1 comment:

Mark said...

Not all lies:

"I have always tried to be a faithful Catholic,

Lie.

Your Holiness, and though I have fallen short through human failings,

Truth.

I have never failed to believe and respect the fundamental teachings.

BIG Lie.

I continue to pray for God's blessings on you and our Church

Probable lie.

and would be most thankful for your prayers for me."

Probably true, particularly toward the end of his life.