Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Robert Novak 1931-2009


Robert Novak, one of the last old-time journalists, died yesterday after a year of fighting brain cancer. He said when he was diagnosed that he was retiring, but of course, he didn't -- couldn't. Novak was a conservative, although he was not ideological. But just the fact that he was not a liberal drone was enough to make him hated on the left, although he took Republicans to task just as he did democrats. The left called him the Prince of Darkness. He was an honest man. There are no honest liberals. If they were honest -- especially to themselves -- they would not be liberal. Although he wrote a column, he was a reporter. Unlike current journalists, he knew his job was to report the facts, not change the world. He put those facts in a column so he would be free of meddling liberal editors who like to spin the news to represent THEIR truth. His death represents the further death of journalism.

3 comments:

Joe said...

"There are no honest liberals. If they were honest -- especially to themselves -- they would not be liberal."

What a great line! A liberal may be defined as one who believes that what he/she says is true simply BECAUSe he/she said it, whether it actually happened or not.

Novack was one of the few good-guy journalists we had left.

Tonto said...

LR - you must know how Novak felt everyday he went into work. I heard Glenn Beck talk about what it was like when he passed co-workers at the offices at CNN and wonder if that happens to you.

Lone Ranger said...

The only people who even recognize my presence are the people on the overnights who really know me. To know me is to love me. But I'm sure they regard me as the crazy uncle with the good table manners. I often say that I have powers of invisibility because my "colleagues" walk by me as if I weren't there. There are a few other conservatives in the newsroom, but they are smart enough to keep a low profile.