Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Moving On

As you morning-coffee regulars have noticed, my posting has been spotty at best during the last few weeks. It will probably be worse for the next 4-6 weeks. After a decade in this apartment, I'm moving. This is the longest I've lived in one place in my entire life. Not moving to the other side of the world this time, or even the other side of town, but from the 7th floor to the 6th. I made a long post about this early today, but my finger slipped off a key and the whole thing disappeared into never-never land. My new apartment will have a balcony, new appliances, a redesigned kitchen, better carpeting (no stains) and other upgrades that I don't know about yet. I've always maintained that everyone should lift everything they own once a year to give them perspective on their life. I'm not as strong as I was 10 years ago, and I've accumulated a bunch of junk since I moved here with just what I could fit in my minivan, so I might have to use my rotary saw to make certain things fit down the garbage chute. I spent my morning driving around aimlessly, sort of window-shopping with my top down because it was such a beautiful day. I spent the afternoon tracking down elements of a Lone Ranger outfit. Now, I'll spend my evening seeing what's on my new cable service. I'm not lifting a finger to clean, or install my new video system, or do anything else until I move. I'm pretty sure they are going to gut this place and upgrade it like the apartment I'm moving into when I leave. So, that solves the problem of cleaning behind the stove that I haven't been able to move in 10 years. Wonder what they'll find back there. If the evolutionists are right, I'd be careful.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Exciting stuff! Michael and I had our house built and we swore that we would never move. That was 10 years ago and we both still love our home. I hate to think of the things we have accumulated over the past 10 years...especially since I'm a pack rat and everything has a "memory"...

You had me frightend for a moment... thought you were going to say you were leaving your blog...

Whew!! I'm relieved!

Happy Moving!

Tonto said...

Congrats!! Did all the new apartments go to people moving from one to another? If so it is likely going to be mayhem around with all of you moving apartments.

I am not a packrat and yet when we moved into this house April 2005 we had so much stuff...after I packed three boxes I was tired and bored and I said ok let's just throw all the rest away and start fresh!

Moving is torture.

I have to have yard sales at least twice a year just to keep the house "doable" and semi clutter free.

I learned where to "Take" it all too. If you have old towels and blankets you decide to toss...your local veterinary hospital/shelter would love to have them for their pets staying there.

I gave all my baby stuff to homeless shelter for pregnant women. Not that you have baby stuff.

and the Local Home for Veterans picks up all my appliances and men's clothes.

Happy packing!!

Lone Ranger said...

Hmmm, I'm going to have to find a homeless shelter for audiophiles. I need to get rid of some 30-year-old stereo gear that's still in good condition. And large pieces of furniture like an entertainment center and a stereo cabinet and a few large speakers. I'll have to see if Goodwill does pickups. The trick is to get rid of it before the move. I picked up the papers today and the move will now be somewhere around 2 Feb. That gives plenty of time for all of you to drive to VA.

Anonymous said...

I'm driving to New York in the morning... maybe a detour on the way home...

Tonto said...

oh wow...february...plenty of time to go through your life and see what you need to keep...as long as your computer and blog are two of them!

Lone Ranger said...

I'll be sleeping days when my work week begins tomorrow. But, if you start to feel drowsy....

KIDDING!

I haven't had a total stranger stay here in about 10 years.

Lone Ranger said...

I did a property dump about six years ago, when I thought I was getting married. Like a fool, I threw away my beloved Atari ST. I long to have it back, but those things hardly ever appear on e-bay. Most of my clothing could be thrown out, since I don't think the Nehru jacket will ever make a comeback. I have a few very nice suits that I bought dirt-cheap from a diplomat in Japan. I'm in the process now of shrinking to fit them again. Keeping one uniform to be buried in. Maybe I'll find my missing combat boot and I can wear my BDU pants to work and make everyone nervous.