Friday, March 03, 2006

Blackberry Settlement

WASHINGTON, March 3, 2006 (AFP) - The maker of the popular BlackBerry wireless device, Research in Motion, said Friday it had reached a 612.5 million dollar settlement to a patent lawsuit that had risked shutting down its US service.

The Canadian company said it had a reached a "full and final settlement" with NTP Inc., a US firm that had accused RIM of violating its patents in the mobile software used in the Blackberry.

The day a judge told these two companies to settle the matter, I told my boss that I'd gone out and gotten a blackberry. "What are you going to do with that?," he said. "Eat it," said I, popping the large berry into my mouth. I have a dental appointment in June. I'm thankful I've never been important enough to have to own one of those devices.

No comments: