Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Why My Heroes Were Cowboys

These are the principles on which I've based my entire life. If you are a liberal, you will very probably snicker and sneer at these rules. I just have to ask, what are liberal standards of morality? Where are they written? Thou shalt not oppose abortion? Thou shalt not pass judgment on anyone except conservative Christians? What do you teach your children?? If you bother to teach them the very basics of civilized behavior such as not using profanity or not lying or not cheating, do you follow those standards yourself? Or do you believe that once you reach adulthood, you can just disrespect your parents by abandoning all the standards they taught you? Is that what you expect from your children? I just have to wonder what our kids would be like today if they had heroes like this to emulate. I'd appreciate feedback from anyone who disagrees with any one of the following rules. The best thing an adult can do in life is to be a positive role model for a child.

CLICK AN IMAGE TO ENLARGE
Gene Autry as, who else, Gene Autry Gene Autry's Cowboy Code of Honor
  1. A cowboy never takes unfair advantage - even of an enemy.
  2. A cowboy never betrays a trust. He never goes back on his word.
  3. A cowboy always tells the truth.
  4. A cowboy is kind and gentle to small children, old folks, and animals.
  5. A cowboy is free from racial and religious intolerances.
  6. A cowboy is always helpful when someone is in trouble.
  7. A cowboy is always a good worker.
  8. A cowboy respects womanhood, his parents and his nation's laws.
  9. A cowboy is clean about his person in thought, word, and deed.
  10. A cowboy is a Patriot.

Hopalong Cassidy's Creed for American Boys and Girls

  1. The highest badge of honor a person can wear is honesty. Be truthful at all times.
  2. Your parents are the best friends you have. Listen to them and obey their instructions.
  3. If you want to be respected, you must respect others. Show good manners in every way.
  4. Only through hard work and study can you succeed. Don't be lazy.
  5. Your good deeds always come to light. So don't boast or be a show-off.
  6. If you waste time or money today, you will regret it tomorrow. Practice thrift in all ways.
  7. Many animals are good and loyal companions. Be friendly and kind to them.
  8. A strong, healthy body is a precious gift. Be neat and clean.
  9. Our country's laws are made for your protection. Observe them carefully.
  10. Children in many foreign lands are less fortunate than you. Be glad and proud you are an American.

Wild Bill Elliott as Wild Bill Hickok William Boyd as Hopalong Cassidy Wild Bill Hickok Deputy Marshal's Code of Conduct

  1. I will be brave, but never careless.
  2. I will obey my parents. They DO know best.
  3. I will be neat and clean at all times.
  4. I will be polite and courteous.
  5. I will protect the weak and help them.
  6. I will study hard.
  7. I will be kind to animals and care for them.
  8. I will respect my flag and my country.
  9. I will attend my place of worship regularly.

The Lone Ranger Creed

I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one. That all men are created equal and that everyone has within himself the power to make this a better world. That God put the firewood there, but that every man must gather and light it himself. In being prepared physically, mentally, and morally to fight when necessary for that which is right. That a man should make the most of what equipment he has. That "this government, of the people, by the people, and for the people," shall live always. That men should live by the rule of what is best for the greatest number. That sooner or later...somewhere...somehow...we must settle with the world and make payment for what we have taken. That all things change, but the truth, and the truth alone lives on forever. I believe in my Creator, my country, my fellow man.

Roy Rogers Riders Club Rules Roy Rogers and Dale Evans Clayton Moore as The Lone Ranger

  1. Be neat and clean.
  2. Be courteous and polite.
  3. Always obey your parents.
  4. Protect the weak and help them.
  5. Be brave, but never take chances.
  6. Study hard, and learn all you can.
  7. Be kind to animals and care for them.
  8. Eat all your food and never waste any.
  9. Love God and go to Sunday School regularly.
  10. Always respect our flag, and country.

Roy Rogers Prayer

Lord, I reckon I'm not much just by myself, I fail to do a lot of things I ought to do. But Lord, when trails are steep and passes high, Help me ride it straight the whole way through. Harry Lauter as Clay Morgan in Tales of the Texas Rangers And when in the falling dusk I get that final call, I do not care how many flowers they send, Above all else, the happiest trail would be For YOU to say to me, "Let's ride, My Friend" AMEN

Texas Rangers "Deputy Ranger" Oath

  1. Be Alert
  2. Be Obedient
  3. Defend the Weak
  4. Never Desert a Friend
  5. Never Take Unfair Advantage
  6. Be Neat
  7. Be Truthful
  8. Uphold Justice
  9. Live Cleanly
  10. Have Faith in God

No comments: